Please note that charges shall be paid for parking on a public space on the territory of Budapest (that is, not in a privately-held car park, garden, but on a road, street or square) at the areas indicated on the following map. This obligation is subject to cars, three-or four- wheel motor vehicles, three-or four-wheel mopeds, caravans and trucks not exceeding the 3.5 ton weight.
On the territory of Budapest, there are four parking (officially: waiting) zones marked with “A”, “B”, “C” and “D”. Please find the locations of the parking zones on the following map along with
- the valid parking (officially: waiting) charge per hour applicable in the different parking zones,
- the time period subject to parking (officially: waiting) charge applicable in the different parking zones,
- the longest permitted time period of parking (officially: waiting) subject to charges applicable in the different parking zones.
Frequently asked questions about parking in Budapest
In what cases is parking permitted in the designated parking zones?
On the territory of the parking zones - with a number of exceptions specified in Points 12-16. - parking is permitted under the following conditions:
- in exchange of the given parking charge settled,
- in possession of a residential parking permit,
- based on the operator’s parking permit, by settling the parking charge,
- in possession of a healthcare parking permit,
- in possession of an urban management access-parking permit,
- in possession of an access-parking permit issued for the district-based public space supervision authorities.
Please note that parking discounts specified by a dedicated legal regulation are applicable to physically-impaired persons. Please find the details below.
How could I know, while parking in which parking zone I am and what types of parking and payment conditions are applicable to that parking zone?
Under the parking (officially: “waiting zone”) sign boards, the following complementary sign boards provide information about
- the category of parking zone,
- time period subject to parking charges,
- the longest permitted time period of parking subject to charges,
- parking charges per hour and
- data required for the specification of the phone number necessary for the payment of parking charges via a smart phone.
How much is the parking charge for one hour per parking zones in case of the different types of vehicles?
The hourly parking charge to be paid in the parking zones is, in case of cars, three-or four- wheel motor vehicles, three-or four-wheel mopeds, trailers or caravans towed by a car and trucks not exceeding the 3,500 kilogram weight:
- in parking zones marked with “A”: HUF 600/hour,
- in parking zones marked with “B”: HUF 450/hour,
- in parking zones marked with “C”: HUF 300/hour,
- in parking zones marked with “D”: HUF 200/hour,
The waiting charge of caravans, buses, trucks exceeding the 3,500 kilogram weight, agricultural tractors, slow-moving vehicles, trailers or caravans towable by these vehicles is triple of the parking charge specified in the previous paragraph.
When shall the parking charge be paid?
In all of the four parking zones, parking charges are required to be paid on workdays during the following time period:
- in parking zones marked with “A” on workdays between 8:00 and 22:00,
- in parking zones marked with “B” on workdays between 8:00 and 20:00,
- in parking zones marked with “C” on workdays between 8:00 and 18:00,
- in parking zones marked with “D” on workdays between 8:00 and 18:00.
Is there such an area within the parking zones where parking rules different from the above described ones are applicable?
On the following locations, parking is subject to charges during the time periods different from the ones specified in Point 3:
- in district 1, at Dísz tér, the Hunyadi János út section between Szabó Ilonka utca and Dísz tér and the Palota út section between Dísz tér and Lovas utca, waiting is subject to charges every day from 0:00 to 24:00. Furthermore, at the parking zones of these road sections, parking charges are not required to be paid for 10 minutes upon starting parking, however after the 10 minutes have expired, those ten minutes are calculated into the parking period.
- at Margaret Island, in the Northern car park and at the parking areas of the hotels, waiting is subject to charges every day from 0:00 to 24:00.
Furthermore, on these areas, parking charges are not required to be paid for 10 minutes upon starting parking, however after the 10 minutes have expired, those ten minutes are calculated into the parking period.
Rules on payment of parking charges applicable when Saturday is a working day
In case a higher-level legal regulation specifies Saturday as a workday different from the work schedules as per the calendar, then even on these Saturday workdays, the parking period subject to parking charges specified in Point 4 is required to be applied.
Rules on parking charges applicable for the period between 24 December and 1 January
No need to pay the parking charge on the area of the parking zones each year from the start of the operation period on 24 December to the end of the operation period on 1 January of the following year.
With the exceptions of the following route sections and areas, where parking is subject to charges each year between 24 December and 1 January of the following year:
- in district 1, at Dísz tér, the Hunyadi János út section between Szabó Ilonka utca and Dísz tér and the Palota út section between Dísz tér and Lovas utca;
- at Margaret Island, in the Northern car park and at the parking areas of the hotels.
For how long am I permitted to park in the parking zones?
The longest permitted time period of parking subject to charges in parking zones “A”, “B” and “C” is three hours.
There is no time restriction in the parking zones marked with “D”.
Is it permitted to extend the time period of parking?
In case of payment of parking charges, parking is permitted at least for the restricted time period specified in Point 8. After the time period specified for that given parking zone has been expired, the car is required to leave the parking zone. The parking-related time period cannot be extended with a renewed payment of the parking charge.
How shall parking charges be paid?
In case of a regular parking zone, immediately after parking, without any warning
- by purchasing a parking card at the parking machine to be found at the given parking zone subject to parking charges and placing the parking card behind the vehicle’s front windscreen the way that the front cover of the parking ID can be entirely visible and readable for the control of its validity and entitlement, or
- by starting the code valid for that given parking zone in the smart phone-based charge payment system, along with the successful confirmation and verification of customer ID specified by the relating legal regulation.
In case of a closed parking zone
- based on the parking card issued upon entering the car park, by purchasing the parking card upon exiting the parking zone, or
- based on the parking card issued upon entering the car park, by starting the code valid for that given parking zone in the smart phone-based charge payment system, along with the successful presentation of confirmation of customer ID specified by the relating legal regulation.
A zárt rendszerű parkolási övezet olyan várakozási övezet, amelybe a behajtás és az onnan történő kihajtás ellenőrzött módon történik.
In case of a vehicle operable by a shared car service provider, is it required to pay a parking charge?
In case of a vehicle operable by a shared car service provider, parking-related rules can differ per service providers, therefore the rules applicable for the given shared car is available and to be found at the website of the given service provider.
Parking-related rules applicable to physically-impaired persons
On the area of parking zones and public spaces, discounts specified in a dedicated legal regulations of parking IDs issued for physically-impaired persons shall be applied, in case the physically-impaired person’s original and valid ID is placed behind the vehicle’s front windscreen the way that the front cover of the parking ID can be entirely visible for the control of its validity and entitlement.
Shall I pay a parking charge in possession of a green licence plate?
On the area of waiting zones, public spaces, environmentally (therefore, supplied with a green licence plate specified by the relating legal regulation) sound cars are not subject to a parking charge.
Parking-related rules applicable to trucks
On the area of parking zones, public parking spaces, in case of the application of a loading period clock disk dedicated for freights and issued by the Municipality of Budapest for a vehicle serving goods delivery, parking charge shall not be paid at least for 20 minutes between the period of 10:00 and 17:00. The starting date of waiting is required to be indicated on the loading period clock disk, which must be placed on the front windscreen of the vehicle the way that it could be fully visible. It is prohibited to change the indication of the loading period clock disc without the vehicle leaving the spot.
Parking-related rules applicable to ambulances
Based on the conditions specified in and by decree No. 19/1998. (VI.3.) on Patient Transportation, vehicles considered as ambulances with the indication of signs to their activity are permitted to park on the area of parking zones, public parking spaces without the requirement of payment of a parking charge under the conditions specified in a dedicated legal regulation.
Parking-related rules applicable for the parking of vehicles equipped lawfully with visual and audible emergency signals
Vehicles equipped lawfully with visual and audible emergency signals are permitted to park on the area of parking zones and public waiting spaces as per the conditions specified by the dedicated legal regulation.
How much is the amount of the penalty fare?
The amount of the penalty fare is indicated on a text-based board or in case of the operation of a TVM, on the screen of the TVM.
What are the designated residential parking spots and under what conditions am I allowed to park there?
Designated residential parking spots are such parking spots designated by local governments, where solely the residents in possession of an address in the given district are allowed to park typically between 18:00 or 20:00 and 07:00 or 08:00. Designated residential parking spots are designated by a “No waiting” sign along with a complimentary sign underneath (time restriction and except with residential parking permit).
Please note that during the time period not specified in the time restriction indicated on the complimentary board, even motorists not being in possession of a residential address for the given district are permitted to park under the conditions valid in the given parking zone.
Which are the district-based public spaces owned by the Municipality of Budapest, where the residential parking permits issued by the given district are valid?
- District 1: Attila út, Bem embankment, Dózsa György tér, Fő utca, Lánchíd utca, the section of Krisztina körút between Mikó utca and Orvos utca and Szarvas tér.
- District 2: Bem József utca, the section of Szilágyi Erzsébet fasor between Széll Kálmán tér and Pázsit utca and Tölgyfa utca.
- District 4: Árpád út, István út, Pozsonyi út and Tanoda tér.
- District 5: Alkotmány utca, id. Antall József rakpart, Jane Haining rakpart, Erzsébet tér, Jászai Mari tér, Fővám tér, Kossuth tér, Széchenyi István tér and Március 15. tér.
- District 6: the section of Andrássy út between Oktogon and Dózsa György út, Kodály körönd and Városligeti fasor.
- District 8: II. János Pál pápa tér, Baross utca, Fiumei út, Harminckettesek tere, Ludovika tér, Luther utca 4., Orczy út and Üllői út.
- District 9: Mester utca, Soroksári út and Üllői út.
- District 11: Andor utca, Bartók Béla út, Bocskai út, Bogdánfy utca, Budaörsi út, Etele tér, Fehérvári út, Galvani utca, Hegyalja út, Irinyi József utca, Karolina út, Nagyszőlös utca, Október huszonharmadika utca, Somogyi utca and Villányi út.
- District 12: Istenhegyi út.
- District 13: Carl Lutz rakpart, Dráva utca and the section of Váci út between Gogol utca and Szekszárdi út.
- District 14: Hungária körút.
Which are the public spaces owned by the Municipality of Budapest, where the operator’s parking permits are valid?
In District 5, Alkotmány utca, id. Antall József rakpart, Jane Haining rakpart.
Parking in independent publicly-used parking facilities (in car parks, underground car parks, etc.)
On the territory of the city centre in Budapest, besides public space car parks, there are circa 6,500 parking spaces at publicly-used independent parking facilities, such as in car parks established at construction sites, in parking houses and in underground car parks. On these areas, parking rules and prices set by the given owner are applicable.
Besides, in buildings with the function of offices, trade, accommodations, and living, parking is provided in tens of thousands number, however a certain percentage of these spots can be used only in possession of a parking pass purchased for a given period. These possibilities are advantageous for persons living or working near to such facilities or are in the surroundings on a regular basis, as by purchasing the parking pass, a parking spot in the facility will be designated for them at all times.
More information is available on these facilities and on their parking possibilities at the website of the given service provider or owner.
P+R car parks and parking conditions
There are nearly 3,800 P+R car parks on the territory of Budapest, therefore after the car is left at one of the P+R car parks, the inner parts of the city can be accessed by public transport. Fare policy may differ at each P+R car park, however parking charges are significantly less than those valid in the 4 parking zones. By using P+R car parks, apart from the lower fees and parking conditions, traffic congestions can be avoided and even the time spent on finding a parking spot in the inner districts can be saved.
Please find more information on the location of P+R car parks at the following website: Parkolás – Budapest Közút Zrt. (budapestkozut.hu)
Where can I turn if I have further inquiries?
Please note that the name, address, phone number of the operator of the parking facility is to be found on a text-based board or on the screen of the TVM, in case of the operation of a TVM.