Available with any starting day. Valid from 00:00 midnight on the indicated day (but from the time of purchase at the earliest) until 02:00 of the same day of the following month within the administrative boundaries of Budapest on lines 1-99, 101-299, 900-999, M1, M2, M3, M4, H5, H6, H7, H8, H9, D14, on designated commute services of MÁV-START national railways and VOLÁNBUSZ regional bus lines. The pass to be used together with a student ID issued for students in higher education attending full-time or evening courses. Valid with linked original photo ID only. The pass is non-transferable. If the pass gets damaged or the ID number has changed, the pass will be exchanged for the same type of pass with the same validity in return for a handling fee at the designated locations. Please present and hand your pass over if requested by the inspector. The removal of the section with the barcode and pass number is strictly prohibited. Please note that we cannot replace lost passes.
This pass type is also available through a mobile application, at the same price and with the same validity (area and time period) as the paper version. The pass to be used together with a student ID issued for students in higher education attending full-time or evening courses. Please provide the ID number at the time of purchase. Valid with linked original photo ID only. The pass becomes valid for travel 2 minutes after successful purchase. Please present your pass for control or after scanning the inspector’s code if requested to do so. At metro stations and on buses/trolleybuses with front-door boarding policy, please show the image appearing after scanning the displayed code. An active internet connection is required for using the mobile ticket. Advance purchase is possible up to 30 days before the start of validity. The mobile ticket is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and it is refundable only before the start of validity. Please find more information here on the app and the use, replacement and refund of passes purchased in the app.
Main rules of using non-Hungarian student IDs; minimal requirements:
- The ID must be a paper-based or card-format document whose original needs to be used for travel and be presented for control (a photo/photocopy of the ID is not accepted!) and it is clearly visible that it is a student ID (and not a library card or a dormitory access card etc.)
- Some foreign student IDs might be issued as a bankcard or as a combined partner card, but not the international (ISIC) card, which will be accepted only as a separate card and only if it shows the name of a school with a seat outside Hungary
- The ID must have a photo of the holder along with a unique identifying number, otherwise a photo ID must be used together with the student ID
- The ID must show the student’s and the school’s name
- The ID must have the validity period, a validating sticker or date of issue on it
Forgot your pass at home? Option to present existing pass/photo ID subsequently
If the passenger is in possession of a pass and a matching student ID that were valid at the time of control, but the passenger could not present the pass or the photo ID to the inspector, the customer can settle the penalty fare payment within 5 workdays from the issue of the penalty fare by presenting the pass along with the matching student ID and by paying the appropriate processing fee at one of the dedicated BKK customer points. The time of purchase of the pass must be earlier than the time of inspection/issue of penalty fare. The processing fee is 1,000 HUF for annual, semester and quarterly passes while it is 2,000 HUF for all other types of passes. Please find more information here.
Accepted student IDs:
- a valid Hungarian student ID and in case of students who are not in possession of a valid Hungarian student ID, a certificate issued by the educational institution in place of a student ID according to the relevant government decree on certificates used in education (starting from the age of 14, the certificate is valid together with a photo ID)
- the student appendix of the “Magyar igazolvány” and “Magyar hozzátartozói igazolvány” certificates or of their supplementes
- In case of students from EU, EEA Member States or Switzerland as well as family members with a residence card or permanent residence card issued in Hungary with the word “családtag” printed on it, attending regular or evening courses in one of those states: student ID issued by the relevant state, international student ID (ISIC). Only Hungarian student IDs can be used to verify pupil or student status at an educational institution in Hungary. Please note that international student IDs that are also bankcards will not be accepted!
Student travel discounts apply during the validity period of the student ID, but the latest until the following dates:
- the expiry date of the monthly pass with a start date in October, in case of student IDs valid for the whole school year or for the second semester
- the expiry date of the monthly pass with a start date in March, in case of student IDs valid for the first semester of the school year.
The certificate issued by the educational institution in place of a student ID in accordance with the appendix of Government Decree 362/2011 (XII.30.) is only valid together with a photo ID in case of persons above the age of 14.
The appropriate foreign and international student IDs are accepted for the indicated validity periods; student passes purchased with a start date during the ID validity period can be used the latest for a month from the last day of validity of the given student ID. If the validity period is indicated only by month and year, then the last day of that month will be considered. If no expiry date (or school year/semester) is indicated on the foreign student ID through printing, a sticker or any other method, then the ID is accepted until 31 October following the semester in which the student turned 16 years of age.
Students over age 16 can use a student ID without an indicated date of expiry depending on the way the time of card issue is marked on the student ID:
- if the date of issue is shown (e.g. 01.09.2019), then the student ID can be used for 1 year from the date of issue (in this example, until 31.08.2020)
- if the school year of card issue is shown (e.g. 2019/2020), then the student ID can be used until 31 October following the school year (in this example, until 31.10.2020).
Please note that an expired student ID will not be accepted for travel even if the linked student pass is still valid, that is, the validity period of the pass has not yet expired. If no date of issue (school year) is indicated at all, the ID is not accepted as a student ID.
In case no number or photo is shown on the accepted foreign student ID, but the indicated data thereon can be clearly matched with a personal identification document, then the student ID is valid with the latter document. In case no number is available on the student ID, the number of the personal identification document needs to be indicated in the appropriate field of the pass slip. The foreign student ID is accepted only if it is a separate document i.e. it is not printed onto a bankcard or any other card issued by a business venture.