Valid for the indicated period – either from 1 September to 31 January of the following year, or from 1 February to 30 June – from 00:00 midnight on the first day (but from the time of purchase at the earliest) until 02:00 a.m. on the day following the last day within the administrative boundaries of Budapest on lines 1-99, 101-299, 900-999, City-trolleybus, M1, M2, M3, M4, H5, H6, H7, H8, H9, D14; on designated commute services of MÁV national railways and VOLÁN regional bus lines. On boat services D11 and D12 valid on workdays only. Available for students in higher education together with a valid Hungarian or foreign issued student ID (see details below). Please provide the education ID or ID number at the time of purchase as it will be printed onto the slip. The pass is non-transferable. If the pass gets damaged or the ID number has changed, the pass will be exchanged for the same type of pass with the same validity in return for a handling fee at the designated locations. Please present and hand your pass over if requested by the inspector. Please note that we cannot replace lost passes.
Please click here for the advance purchase rules.
Refund rule: refundable before the start of validity
The following persons are entitled to the student pass:
- Pupil or student attending regular daytime or evening courses of an educational institution
- Pupil or student attending regular daytime or evening courses of a basic, secondary or higher educational institution of a neighbouring country on the basis of Act LXII/2001 (on Hungarians Living in Neighbouring Countries)
- Pupil or student with the right to free movement and residence attending regular daytime or evening courses of an educational institution located in an EU Member State, EEC Treaty state or a state whose citizens have a right to free movement that equals that of EEC Treaty states on the basis of an international agreement between the European Community, its Member States and a state that is not a member of the EEC Treaty.
The following documents are accepted for supporting the entitlement to the pass:
- Valid Hungarian student identification card
- Valid certificate issued by the educational institution in place of a student ID as defined in accordance with the appendix of Government Decree 362/2011 (XII.30.) on Educational Identification Documents
- the student appendix of the “Magyar igazolvány” and “Magyar hozzátartozói igazolvány” certificates or of their supplements
- Foreign-issued student IDs (issued in any EU Member State, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland of a universal or school-specific format) or the international student ID (ISIC) under the following conditions. A Hungarian citizen or a person with the right to free movement and residence is entitled to use a foreign-issued student ID or an international student ID if he or she is attending regular daytime or evening courses
- a) at the seat or
- b) at the Hungary-based branch (in which case the student ID shows the name of the educational institution used at its seat) of an educational institution with a seat in any EU Member State other than Hungary, or in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland.
Instead of a foreign-issued student ID or an international student ID, a passport or any other photo ID is accepted from foreign pupils under the age of 16.
- Photo ID suitable for personal identification (personal ID or passport) up until age 14 of the pupil, regardless if school attendance is in Hungary or abroad. The discount is based on age only and applies to any citizen regardless of the ID-issuing country.
Hungarian citizens studying abroad may also request a Hungarian student ID; and as of 3 September 2011 students with the right to freedom of movement and residence may also do so irrespectively of whether they study in Hungary or not.
Student travel discounts apply during the validity period of the student ID, but the latest until the following dates:
- the expiry date of the monthly pass with a start date in October, in case of student IDs valid for the whole school year or for the second semester
- the expiry date of the monthly pass with a start date in March, in case of student IDs valid for the first semester of the school year
The certificate issued by the educational institution in place of a student ID in accordance with the appendix of Government Decree 362/2011 (XII.30.) is only valid together with a photo ID in case of persons above the age of 14.
The appropriate foreign and international student IDs are accepted for the indicated validity periods; student passes purchased with a start date during the ID validity period can be used the latest for a month from the last day of validity of the given student ID. If the validity period is indicated only by month and year, then the last day of that month will be considered. If no expiry date (or school year, semester) is indicated on the student ID, then the ID is accepted for 1 year from the date of issue or (depending on the indication) during the school year. If no date of issue (school year) is indicated at all, the ID is not accepted as a student ID.
In case no number or photo is shown on the accepted foreign student ID, but the indicated data thereon can be clearly matched with a personal identification document, then the student ID is valid with the latter document. In case no number is available on the student ID, the number of the personal identification document needs to be indicated in the appropriate field of the pass slip. The foreign student ID is accepted only if it is a separate document i.e. it is not printed onto a bankcard or any other card issued by a business venture.
Price: HUF 16 200