Public transport service and traffic changes on roads and Danube bridges on the eve and the day of the St. Stephen’s Day (Monday, 19 August and Tuesday, 20 August 2013).
Already on 19 August 2013, traffic restrictions will be in place at several locations in the city due to preparations for the celebrations, therefore some public transport lines will run on modified routes. To get to events near Batthyány tér we recommend metro line M2, to reach Buda Castle we suggest passengers take dedicated bus line 216 from Deák Ferenc tér metro station. During the festivities on 20 August, we will be providing higher service frequencies on the metro, suburban railway and major surface transport lines. On account of road closures, we recommend taking public transport to the venues instead of cars as accessing the city centre and parking will be almost impossible. On the night of 20 August, metro lines M1, M2 and M3 will be in service longer with the last trains departing Deák Ferenc tér metro station at 1:15 AM. Several surface lines will operate longer and night buses will run more frequently. Major lines whose last service normally is not adjusted to the last metro departures, will also operate longer.
Tips and recommended routes to reach venues based on events and locations
In honour of the St. Stephen’s Day, several events will be held on 19 and 20 August 2013. Please find more information on the Hungarian Government’s official page at http://augusztus20.kormany.hu
Please see below the events and information on how to reach their locations:
Festival of Folk Arts in Buda Castle (17-20 August)
To access Buda Castle we recommend the following public transport services:
- from Széll Kálmán tér metro station take bus 16A, which runs every 1-2 minutes
- from Deák Ferenc tér metro station take dedicated bus line 216
- from Clark Ádám tér take the Buda Castle Funicular (special fares apply)
Erkel’s opera István, a király (King Stephen) on the Margitsziget Open-Air Stage (19 August)
Ferenc Erkel’s opera István a király will be performed on Monday, 19 August at 19:00 on Margitsziget Open-Air Stage with live broadcast onto screens located near the main entrance of the theatre. To reach the venue, please take bus 26 and 226 (in service only until 18:30) to the Szabadtéri Színpad stop or trams 4 and 6 to the Margitsziget stop, from where a 15-20 minute walk is needed. After the event, in addition to bus 26, we provide extra buses to both Árpád híd metro station and Nyugati pályaudvar metro station to speed up passengers’ leaving.
Gastro Promenade on the Danube embankment in Buda (19-20 August)
A Gastro Promenade, games and folk arts programmes will take place on the embankment in Buda on the section between Bem József tér and Bem rakpart, a section of Csalogány utca, Batthyány tér, Lánchíd (the Chain Bridge), the tunnel, Clark Ádám tér and its surroundings and a section of Fő utca will be closed. Service changes will be in place on bus lines 11, 39, 105, 160, 260 as well as trams 19 and 41. To reach the embankment from the direction of North Buda, please take suburban railway line H5, from the-the city centre take metro line M2 to Batthyány tér and from South Buda take trams 19 or 41.
Programmes for families and the Ecumenical Bread-Blessing Ceremony at Clark Ádám tér (20 August)
Children’s and folk programmes, “cake inauguration” and the ecumenical blessing of the bread will take place from 10:00 until the evening on Tuesday, 20 August at Clark Ádám tér. To reach the venue, please take trams 19 and 41. In the event that tram services would be restricted, please walk to Clark Ádám tér from Széchenyi István tér across the Lánchíd or from Döbrentei tér (after getting off bus 7 or the tram, which will run to Döbrentei tér, the Buda side of Erzsébet bridge).
Military ceremony at Hősök tere (20 August)
The inauguration of military officers of the Hungarian Army will take place at Hősök tere (Heroes’ square). The rehearsal of the event is held in the morning on 19 August, while the main event is held in the morning on 20 August. Due to road closures, the services of buses 20E, 30, 30A, 105 and 230 and also of trolleybus 75 will be restricted. To reach Hősök tere, please take metro line M1.
Parliament Open Day – cancelled
The traditional 20 August Open Day at the Parliament Building, home of the Hungarian National Assembly, will not take place this year due to the ongoing reconstruction of Kossuth Lajos tér.
Holy Mass and Religious Procession at the Basilica and its surrounding area (20 August)
The Holy Mass starts at 17:00 on 20 August in Saint Stephen’s Basilica followed by the traditional Procession of the Holy Right Hand of Saint Stephen around the church via József Attila utca – Széchenyi István tér – Akadémia utca – Arany János utca – Szent István Bazilika. The route of the procession will be closed during the event. To reach the venue, please take metro line M1 to Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út metro station or line M3 to Arany János utca metro station or walk from the Deák Ferenc tér hub of all three metro lines.
Festive Fireworks Display on the Banks of the Danube (20 August)
The fireworks last from 21:00 until 21:30; as the inner city areas near the river on both sides of the city will be closed to road traffic a few hours before and after the display – including the Lánchíd and Erzsébet híd – we recommend taking the metro lines to the city centre and walking. We provide higher frequencies and longer times of operation on several services. Please check route diversions before you start your journey. Kossuth Lajos tér and Ferenciek tere are not recommended for watching the fireworks due to ongoing reconstruction at both locations. Please prepare for crowded streets shortly before and after the event.
Ákos Concert at Dózsa György tér (20 August)
The free concert of Hungarian pop star Ákos starts after the fireworks at 22:00 at Dózsa György tér close to the Buda side of Erzsébet híd. To reach the venue from the city centre (Pest side), we recommend walking across Erzsébet híd or Lánchíd and through the tunnel as Attila út and Krisztina körút will be closed between Alagút utca and Döbrentei tér from 18:00. To return home after the concert please take bus 7 (longer service hours), trams and metro lines M1, M2 and M3 (last departures from Deák Ferenc tér metro station at 1:15) and the night buses.
Events at Lake Balaton (20 August)
For the first time this year, the Government is organising a wide range of events in the area of the lake. Motorists returning from Balaton after the four-day weekend on highway M7 are advised to take the M0 highway-bridge or Rákóczi híd to the Pest side of the city.
As the police may decide on additional road closures and diversions, the information on diverted public transport routes is subject to change. Please check www.bkk.hu/augusztus20 for eventual updates.
The following opening hours will apply at BKK’s ticket offices:
- Monday, 19 August: Saturday schedule
- Tuesday, 20 August: Sunday schedule
The 21th Sziget Festival will be held on Óbuda Island from Monday 5 August to Monday 12 August 2013. Thanks to the agreement between Sziget and BKK Centre for Budapest Transport, special CityPASS wristbands will go on sale entitling holders to public transport and other special services during the event. Furthermore, we are launching special dedicated transport services and provide higher frequencies on suburban railway line H5, tram lines 1 and 1A as well as on night bus lines 901 and 918. Tram 4-6 provides around-the-clock service on the Grand Boulevard between Széll Kálmán tér and Corvin-negyed metro stations during the whole period of the event.
During this year’s, the 21st Sziget Festival
– we provide more frequent and also night services on suburban railway H5, higher frequencies on several additional transport lines, additionally we also provide higher capacity on night buses serving the area,
– we launch special dedicated boat services to Sziget,
– we sell jointly with Sziget CityPASS wristbands which entitle holders among others to free public transport on BKK’s services within the area of the City of Budapest, to free entry to spas and pools, provides discounts on Budapest museum tickets, the zoo and the amusement park and the services of City Taxi,
– we provide shuttle bus transfers for CityPASS holders from the airport directly to Sziget
BKK at the Sziget Festival
From Monday, 5 August 2013 onwards we will be on site at Sziget. An Ikarus 260 brand Hungarian bus converted by Budapest Transport Company (BKV) to reflect the atmosphere of the festival with happy colours will serve as a BKK Customer Service Point. In addition to trying out several games, you will be able to purchase different types of public transport tickets and to gather information about our products and transport services.
The BKK Customer Service Point is open every day from 10:00 to 18:00 at its location near the main Sziget entrance by the K-híd and taxi stand.
TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO THE SZIGET FESTIVAL ON ÓBUDA ISLAND
The venue of Sziget Festival is Óbuda Island located in the northern part of Budapest and it can be reached from the Buda side of the river Danube. Access is recommended by suburban railway line H5 but a nearly one-kilometre-long walk is also an option from buses 9, 34, 86, 106, 134 and 234 coming from the city centre, Kőbánya and South Buda or alternatively by the dedicated boat service.
Suburban railway line H5 can be easily accessed at the following connection points:
- Batthyány tér stop of metro line M2, which is also the city terminus of suburban railway H5
- the Margit híd stop by trams 4 and 6
- Batthyány tér stop of trams 19 as well as of bus 86 from South Buda
- from Liszt Ferenc International Airport: bus 200E to Kőbánya-Kispest metro station, metro line M3 to Deák Ferenc tér metro station and connection to metro line M2 to Batthyány tér
- from both Déli and Keleti pályaudvar train stations take metro line M2
- from Nyugati train station take trams 4-6 to the Margit híd budai hídfő stop
- from Árpád híd national bus terminal take tram line 1 to Szentlélek tér
- from the regional bus terminal at Kelenföldi pályaudvar train station take tram line 19
- from the Népliget national and international bus terminal take metro line M3 to Deák Ferenc tér M, transfer to M2 to Batthyány
- from the Stadion regional and national bus terminal take metro line M2 to Batthyány tér
In addition to the above, BKK launches special direct services to Óbuda Island: only the Sziget-Budapest CityPASS entitles festival-goers to use the shuttle bus transfer services to and from the airport as well as the special boat service to the island. The boat service can also be used without the CityPASS by buying tickets on board at the price of HUF 900.
Please find public transport network maps for daytime services here and night services here.
The maps below help with orientation on how to access the location of Sziget Festival:
HIGHER FREQUENCY AND MORE CAPACITY ON SOME OF OUR PUBLIC TRANSPORT ROUTES:
We are adjusting our services to accommodate the significantly higher-than-usual level of traffic in the area as follows: in order to support the increased passenger numbers during the Sziget Festival, we provide higher frequencies in the timetable as well as more capacity on some of our services.
- Suburban railway H5 (Szentendre): from 5:30 on Monday, 5 August to 20:00 on Monday, 12 August suburban railway line H5 runs more frequently with six-car trains. Also, night service is provided during the festival between Batthyány tér and Kaszásdűlő stations every 15 minutes.
- Trams 1 and 1A: from Monday, 5 August to Sunday, 11 August trams run more frequently, about every 3 minutes in the afternoons and every 7-8 minutes in the evenings until 20:00 on workdays and every 7-8 minutes all day on weekends.
- Night buses 901 and 918: service will be provided by larger-capacity articulated buses from Óbuda to the Hungária ringroad in the late night hours of Sunday 5 August and early morning hours of Monday 6 August as well as in late night hours of Sunday 11 August and early morning hours of Monday 12 August.
TRAM SERVICE ON THE GRAND BOULEVARD DURING THE PERIOD OF THE FESTIVAL
Track refurbishment is taking place on the routes of tram lines 4 and 6 between Corvin-negyed metro station and the terminuses in South Buda (tram 4: Újbuda-Központ, tram 6: Móricz Zsigmond körtér) from 27 July and 19 August 2013. Consequently, tram 4-6 will be operating on a shortened route between Széll Kálmán tér metro station in Buda and Corvin-negyed metro station in Pest during the Sziget Festival. Furthermore, during the Sziget Festival tram 4-6 will also run every 10-15 minutes throughout the night, thus the line will be in service around the clock.
Tram 4 is replaced by bus 4V between Corvin-negyed M and the Újbuda-Központ terminus.
Tram 6 is replaced
- during the day by bus 6-47V via Corvin-negyed M – Petőfi híd – Karinthy Frigyes út – Móricz Zsigmond körtér – Hauszmann Alajos utca
- between 12 midnight and 4:00 by tram 4-6 between Széll Kálmán tér M and Corvin-negyed M, while tram replacement bus 6V runs only between Corvin-negyed M and Móricz Zsigmond körtér on those nights
SPECIAL DEDICATED BOAT SERVICES:
Between Monday, 5 August and Sunday, 11 August dedicated boat services connect Petőfi tér (Erzsébet híd) and Óbuda Island (boat service D21) as well as Jászai Mari tér and Óbuda Island. CityPASS holders can use the boat service without extra charge; all others must buy a ticket on board for 900 HUF.
The boats serve the following piers:
- Vigadó tér Pier 3/a (Petőfi tér), 4th pier towards Vigadó tér from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Batthyány tér MAHART Pier 2, next pier towards Margit híd from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Jászai Mari tér Pier 2, 6th pier towards Árpád from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Óbuda Island pier – Hajógyári Sziget, docking point of BKK public transport boat services
The exact locations of the piers can be seen at these maps:
The boats operate every 30 minutes on Monday 5 August and Tuesday 6 August from 16:00 to 21:00; and also between Wednesday 7 August and Sunday 11 August from 14:00 to 1:00.
Please find timetables of the special boat service here.:
SZIGET-AIRPORT BUS TRANSFER SERVICE:
From Saturday 3 August to Wednesday 7 August – during the days of “moving in” – and the first days free direct transfer service is providedfrom Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport to the car park of the Óbuda- Auchan store only in the direction from the airport to town every 30 minutes between 8:45 and 00:30 at night exclusively for Budapest CityPASS holders. To pick up your CityPASS please stop by at BKK’ Customer Service Centre at the arrivals level of Terminal 2B.
On Monday 12 August – the day of “moving out” – free direct transfer service is provided from Óbuda- Auchan store car park to Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport only in the direction to the airport every 10 minutes in the early hours, every 15 minutes in the morning and every 20 minutes later on between 3:00 in the morning and 14:00 exclusively for Budapest CityPASS holders.
Further information about the transfer service is available here.
Temporary taxi stand
In order to provide higher quality services to Sziget visitors, BKK installed a temporary taxi stand in Budapest’s 3rd district at the intersection of Szentendrei út and Mozaik utca.
The stand is capable of hosting 15 taxis at a time and will be operational from Saturday, 3 August 2013. The use of the taxi stand will be monitored and controlled with special focus.
Within the area of the Sziget, dedicated and exclusive taxi services are provided: CityPass holders are entitled to Tariff Group 5 by City Taxi.
SERVICES AVAILABLE WITH THE SZIGET CityPASS
BKK Centre for Budapest Transport provides unlimited travel for Sziget CityPASS holders on scheduled public transport services: on the full tram-, trolleybus- and metro network and on the cogwheel-railway; on buses up to the first stop following the Budapest city boundary, on the suburban railway within the Budapest city area as well as on public transport boat lines D11 and D12 on weekdays only and also all dedicated boat services to the Sziget. Only Sziget CityPASS holders can take advantage of the airport transfers.
Sziget CityPASS also ensures one-time free entry to any of Budapest’s many spas or swimming pools and 20% discount for all later visits. Further discounts are given as follows:
- 35% for some Budapest events
- 50% off the price of some of the major museums
- 20% discount for the Budapest Zoo and
- 30% for the Amusement Park
- as well as Tariff Group 5 discount on the services of City Taxi
CityPasses are valid from midnight on Thursday, 1 August to midnight on Tuesday 13 August at the price of HUF 8,700 (29 €).
The 48-hour CityPass is valid from the day of purchase to midnight of the following day at the price of 2,700 HUF (9 €).
Our ticket offices below are CityPASS sales points.
Wristband passes are on sale at BKK’s Customer Service points at the airport and at Sziget sales points as well.
Please note that the CityPASS is not valid for entry to the festival.
ROAD TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS IN THE AREA OF ÓBUDA ISLAND
For security reasons, please note that traffic restrictions will be in place again during the Sziget Festival in the area of Óbuda Island. From 20:00 on Friday, 2 August to 18:00 on 12 August the section between Mozaik utca and the new road to Gázgyári lakótelep of Jégtörő utca will be closed, also the section between Mozaik utca 16. and Jégtörő utca will be closed.
No stopping and parking restriction will be in place at the following locations during the same time period:
- on both sides of Reményi Ede utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Benedek Elek utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Vajda János utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Mozaik utca Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Leányfalu utca between Reményi Ede utca and Mozaik utca
- on both sides of the Óbudai embankment between Mozaik utca and Szépvölgyi út
- on both sides of Jégtörő út between the Auchan access road and Mozaik utca
- on the Auchan connection road and the area between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út to the east of the roundabout
As the Sziget ticket offices will be located in the parking area near the intersection of Jégtörő utca and K-híd leading to the island, it will be prohibited to stop there.
Only special permit holders will have car access to the area marked by Szentendrei út – Reményi Ede út – Jégtörő utca – Mozaik utca during the event.
At the request of the Budapest Police, car access will be prohibited to the section of the lower Buda embankment between the southern access point near Margit híd and the Mozaik utca junction – with the help of police cordons – every day from 18:00 to 22:00 between 4 and 11 August. Car access to the closed section of the embankment is possible for direct traffic only based on the evaluation of the police.
Have a good time at the festival!
On the basis of the decision by BKK’s CEO, bus lines serving the Buda Castle along with a few other transport lines will join the range of vehicles where tickets are on sale on board from the driver. On bus lines 16, 16A and 116 popular with tourists for reaching the castle as well as on tram line 69, single tickets are available at the price of HUF 450.
BKK intends to continuously provide more options for purchasing public transport tickets, thus the range of bus and tram lines where tickets are on sale from the driver are being expanded on an ongoing basis.
Please check the link by clicking here for transport lines where the front-door boarding only policy is in place and single tickets are available from the driver.
Please see the services below where no front-door boarding only policy has been introduced, yet single tickets are available from the diver:
16, 16A, 116
70, 72, 74, 74A, 75, 76, 77, 78, 80, 80A, 81, 82, 83
In addition to the above, from Sunday, 1 September 2013, tickets will be available from the driver on tram lines 42 and 50 at the price of HUF 450.
It is BKK’s aim to increase customers’ satisfaction level by expanding the range of sales channels.